Is IMVU Appropriate for Your Kids?

Is IMVU Appropriate for Your Kids?At the top of the homepage is a screenshot of a shirtless man and a busty woman in a bikini top embracing in waist-deep water and staring into each other’s eyes with the phrase “Create your fantasy” underneath.

The website is called IMVU, a realistic Sims-like game and social networking virtual world purported to be for kids ages 13 and up.

IMVU players select an avatar and buy clothing and items to personalize its world. The avatars have adult bodies (not 13-year-old ones,) and virtually all of the female avatars are sexy and large-chested with suggestive outfits to match.

Aside from customizing your avatar, the real focus of IMVU is interacting with other players. Users can chat with someone they know or click the “chat now” button to randomly connect with other players.

Kids can block an offensive chat buddy, but there is no chat filter to prevent them from being exposed to profanity or sexually explicit conversation, or keep them from giving out personally identifying information.

If a player wants to get to know his chat partner better, he can visit their IMVU homepage which is unmonitored for age-inappropriate content.

As IMVU players chat, they can also make their avatars interact. Among more innocent activities, avatars can kiss, cuddle, and make out with each other (with a credit card, you can purchase a “mature access” pass where they can actually simulate sexual activity.)

If 13 sounds a little young to be engaging in this kind of virtual world, you’re not alone. Common Sense Media, a non-profit media rating site for parents, gives IMVU an “iffy for ages 15-18” rating. (“Iffy” means “somewhat edgy for the age.”) For me, what’s most disturbing about the site is the strong sexual undercurrent of the whole thing. The buxom female avatars in scanty clothing give me the willies, especially when I think that my 14-year-old babysitter could be behind one of them.

The bottom line: IMVU may be advertised as just another fun place for teens to interact and have fun, but it’s loaded with sexual innuendo that may be inappropriate for many children who are technically old enough to get an account.

Always be intimately familiar with your child’s online gaming and social networking habits. If you aren’t comfortable, talk about it. Some kids may not be mature enough for the type of content sites like IMVU are offering.

by Jenny Evans

Tags: , , ,

Categories: Gaming

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

53 Comments on “Is IMVU Appropriate for Your Kids?”

1. May 21, 2011 at 9:20 am #

It’s actually rather rare that I run into anyone on IMVU that is younger than 17. However, many of them could be lying about their age. I myself am 21 years old, and I must admit that it sort of baffles me that IMVU would allow 13 year olds to have so much cleavage hanging out of their top while being able to make out even without AP. Another thing that bothers me, is that if you don’t have VIP, ANYONE can touch you. And even worse, if you have AP and so does another user and you don’t have VIP… ANYONE can do sexual acts to you. And this is a website for “13 and up?” To be honest that has never really sat right with me. =/

• Alex The Massacre
      May 8, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

Seeing as you are 21, there IS a filter which separates you from Teenagers (Under 18). You cannot visit their public rooms, nor can they visit your`s.

2. David
    July 22, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Sexual content causing a real danger to young kids on imvu say parents and study groups:
    DA Warns of Dangerous New Chat Room – IMVU.com
    (by RaycerX)
    First there was MySpace.com, then Runescape, now prosecutors believe the chat room alternatives have taken an alarming turn for the worse. They have literally entered a new dimension. IMUV.com is a new, 3-D environment using animated Avatars. Avatars have generally been an Internet user’s representation of himself or herself in the form of a three-dimensional model sometimes used in computer games. IMVU participants design an Avatar which becomes a fully 3D character. They create their own persona and choreograph activities with others they meet in this chat room.
    In the last two days District Attorney Investigator Mike Harris has received numerous calls from concerned parents about IMVU.com. In the interactive IMVU environment participants create a profile as in other chat rooms, but they also create how they look, act and interact with others. A quick look at the list of profiles in Colorado alone shows kids aged 11 through their teens, and adults in their 20s, 30s, and 40s.
    Participants in IMVU have hundreds of options for their physical attributes including skin color, hair color and style, eyes, brows, hands, etc. They then have hundreds of options for clothing: tops, bottoms, sleepwear, shoes, gloves and accessories. The newly created persona then enters one ofa choice of several “chat” locations, waits to be approached and the visits begin. There are many choices of demeanor and actions such as “flirty”, “bashful” “angry”, and several different types of “hugs” and “kisses”. The characters look like animated kids, boys and girls. To one concerned parent, it appeared that her child was simply playing an interactive game on the computer with dolls.
    District Attorney Scott Storey warns, “The use of Avatar animation on this site will make it even more appealing to younger users. It appears to kids to be a perfect world where they can create themselves to look like they want to look and dress like they want to dress. They can direct and star in their own video. In reality it is just one more resource for predators to hide behind a facade as they lure our unsuspecting children.”
    ————————————————————————————–
    It does seem interesting that imvu clearly has no real security at all, anyone can join, no email validation needed, once on can upload pics and take them and become creator easily, if got cash. Imvu does nothing to put in safe guards to stop ufi and ap stuff coming through to GA area. Anyone can lie about their age also, giving them access then to the younger teen search options, a haven for sexual predators and pedophile putting at serious risks young teenagers on imvu: The following puts it rather well I feel:
    parents & educators say
    75% say language is an issue
    75% say sexual content is an issue
    What parents need to know
    Parents need to know that the anime feel of this beautiful 3-D social networking site will encourage younger teens to log on, but it really isn’t for kids. To access most of the content (nudity and raunchy catalog items), you need to pay $20. You need credits to buy stuff for your avatar, and teens can get creative by designing and selling catalog items or public rooms.
    Sex: Many user home pages have sexual innuendo, racy graphics,…Many user home pages have sexual innuendo, racy graphics, and titillating discussion.
    Language: Many home pages are full of swearing. …Many home pages are full of swearing.
    Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Found on user home pages. …Found on user home pages.
    Privacy & safety: Kids can potentially give away personal information….
    ————————————————————————————–
    Another thing to is I noticed a pedophile chatting on line with other kids and that is why I cancelled the whole thing. This company attracts pedophile, crooks, and software is very hard to remove in your hard drive.
    ————————————————————————————-
    Here is what one mother says about the safety of imvu from http://www.blogsafety.com
    My 10 year old has an account on this site & has somehow set up her own email address. I can’t even contact them to get it deleted! I am annoyed that these sites seem 2 manage 2 slip through parental security settings on the computer. It means we have to watch over their shoulders the whole time they r online and lock the computer away at bedtime! So much for the innocence of children these sites are deliberately luring in young teens who want 2 be young teens too early! there should b tighter security & better checks made by the sites themselves. They only delete accounts that r reported to them, they should have ways of preventing these accounts from even being set up other than trusting that a child wanting something other kids have got will tell the truth and not have it! Maybe if site owners began getting sued by the parents of the children they had allowed to view innapropriate content, they would have some better security.
    ————————————————————————————-
    To highlight the possible dangers on imvu: A postman admitted grooming hundreds of children for sex over a five-year period, using social networking sites to prey on his victims. Michael Williams, 28, from Penryn, Cornwall, yesterday pleaded guilty to 27 child sex offences, including sexual activity with a child aged between 13 and 15, grooming and voyeurism, when he appeared at Truro Crown Court. Williams asked for 460 similar offences to be taken into consideration. From 2005 to 2009, Williams pursued hundreds of schoolchildren, on Facebook and Bebo, pretending to be a child. After befriending children he sent them questionnaires, asked where they lived, asking for mobile numbers, and if they had had sex. He would often ask them to use an internet video camera, or webcam. Detective Inspector Simon Snell said after the guilty plea: “He is a manipulative and predatory paedophile.”
    Williams has been remanded in custody for psychiatric reports and will be sentenced on a date to be fixed. A Facebook spokesman said the company was “deeply concerned” by the scale of the crimes committed by Williams.
    Given the nature of profiles on imvu and stuff going on in chat rooms as well as the shopping area at times with graphic sexual images in GA this has to be a real cause for concern to say the least.
    ————————————————————————————-
    Re: IMVU and virtual sex
    Oct 2, 2010 10:04 AM
    I have 3 daughters on this website. I read each of their messages and check out all of their friends everyday. They tell me who they’ve added and the age they said they were. But of course you can’t trust anyone on the internet. This website I would say isn’t the safest,or the best. I love my kids very much and I would hope that some freak wouldn’t find them and harm them in any way. I trust my oldest daughter on this website she is 14 years old and is very mature about what she says on this website and know what NOT to say to boys that she meets, or even girls. I talk to them and find out what has happend.. But it was very interesting when a 30 year old man called for my daughter Hollie,She was scared and left for about a year or so.. later on she decided to re-join. Since then, no problems at all and lets hope there won’t be.

• September 16, 2012 at 10:00 am #

Your a good man :) my mom read this review and kicked me off no hesitation. I was So sad! I wish she would have been more like you v_v I miss it so much and I just wanna die sometimes. Thanks a lot Tim Woda. Really appreciate it because this blog NEEDS TO BE UPDATED!!! They made imvu a lit safer. Like. 13 can’t even go in 18+ Chat room no matter the filters. Or the change the head line. It says “make your own world” And the people aren’t in sketchy clothes anymore!!! I for one say that this is wrong and it influencing the wrong decisions.!!! Fix it D: I miss imvu to much to bear it!!!

3. Helena
    August 5, 2011 at 11:58 pm #

I believe IMVU is for 13 and up, but any avatar that is below 18 shouldn’t be alowed to do sexual acts, what I’m saying is that if they have good parents that watch them play they’ll be fine.

4. Malinda Cookoobird
    September 10, 2011 at 11:16 am #

I toally agree! This website is way too “showy” and provacative for the eyes of young minds, to be poisned by sex and filthy things.

5. November 23, 2011 at 3:32 am #

imvu yes can be rated r…its not the ppl that own the site but the ppl who r in the rms together…its just like any other site such as second life…..but on imvu they have the report button if the outfit anit ap and its showin to much….and far as the ap..they should have a system that calls the num on the credit card that it got ap and thats its for adults..and on the credit card statemet..alot of mom and dads will take the acc from the child….

6. November 23, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

so i was looking for some fun websites i found this one second life and i said hey why not, i started playing and realized hey this is reaaaly bad. so i found imvu instead and was like omg this is for thrteen yr olds. so i start playing and my guy has a shirt that says naughty on the chest and some guys asked me if i wanted to do IT and wouldnt leave my room, and i am like wait this isnt for thrteen yr olds my friend plays it and sometimes wont hang out with me cuz she is so addicted and she knows more about sex than like her parents, and now she has a really wierd bf. my point is this website is very bad, i dont even like online worlds because of it.

7. Sarah
    February 18, 2012 at 6:48 pm #

Imvu is a nasty place. people can sexually interact and date you if they never met you. i think its dangerous .

8. Anonoumous >.
    March 28, 2012 at 10:23 pm #

I play and i think its kinda bad but I dont think its that bad. I mean like its there choice to get caught up in a cyber sex area not that this is good. I really think kids 16 and under should’nt play but eh to late for the people who play :D

~The Lady On The Floor

9. Anonoumous >.
    March 28, 2012 at 10:28 pm #

Its not Very dangerous if u think about it i mean they are the ones who decide if they want to and u can’t stop them. The most dangerous thing about it is having there hearts broken by the people they meet T.T trust me. They cant get caught up in real life relationships if they aren’t careful and also what if they just wanna have fun?
    Don’t be mean to the people who are just like emo and have no one to live for D: No Offense Emo People

~ The Lady One The Floor

10. Star
    April 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

I Agree That IMVU Should Be For Kids Atleat 17 And Up.My 13 Year Old Daughter Just Had Her Birthday All Of Her Friends Had An IMVU Already So She Went Ahead And Joined.Later She Asked Me For An AP Card.I Had No Idea What AP Was,So I Went Ahead And Bought Her The Card.Then One Day She Was Playing IMVU Fullscreen On Her 15 Inch Computer.She Was Have A Virtual Sex Life.Not Only Was It Virtual Sex She Had A Revealing “Stripper” Like Outfit,A Sex Hot tub And A Room That Looked Like It Was A “Just Merried Sweet.”
    She Was Grounded When I Caught Her.And She Had To Delete Her Account.A Lesson Me Nor Her Will EVER forget.

11. imvu is not for 13 year olds
    April 8, 2012 at 5:25 pm #

One Day I Was Bored.So I Called My Friend To See If She Knew About Any Good Websites.She Said IMVU So I Was OnThere And Two Guys Said “Hay Sexy B**** You Have A Fine A**” So Auto Maticly I Deleted My Account.

• Your Mom slapped you because of IMVU
      June 30, 2012 at 1:50 am #

Omg i would do the same thing. You know people can pretend to be your age and be like in their 40′s. Plus my mom knows about the site so if she saw me on it… I would dieeee.

12. Misa Misa Gmizore
    April 16, 2012 at 9:13 pm #

My-Great-Grannie’s-Underpanties! I’ve been thinking about joining IMVU for a while, however now I am not thinking any good thoughts about it. However, I really don’t think you people (who haven’t played it) should be judging it so harshly. The best things that have convinced me not to join have come from people who have actually played it. If your going to judge it, play it first. And if your a parent who has seen some pretty nasty stuff on IMVU coming from YOUR children, then I understand. However, that does result in your parenting skills seeing how you did allow your daughter/son to buy the mature access card or interact in the mature/sexual/flirtatious/creepy/plain out disgusting interaction sections. Regardless of all that, any 13 year old with a good brain would know not to buy the risque clothes or interact sexually. Because, honestly, if you don’t entice the perverts, they don’t harass you. At least, as a 13 year old, that is my experience in the virtual world.

I mean no offense to anyone. ^-^

13. April 22, 2012 at 1:29 am #

I’ve been on IMVU for near 2 years now I use it to pay off my internet as being an IMVU creator and selling credits it does make a nifty income.
    I have ran into many 14 year olds with 20 year old avatar cards and AP which is HIGHLY inappropriate as well.
    Which I have done some research on the whole AP/Age Verification badges this will be enough to make you gag.
    It seems like to me IMVU is purposely lending in creepers and if you can spread this word out to anyone it would help. I understand you need an AV badge to prove your age by giving IMVU staff your ID. Which is nice BUT…. finding out that there was a 32 year old MAN passing off with an 17 year old girl avatar and an age verification badge. Alot of the users trust this badge to much, but this guy used his niece’s ID card to pass himself off as a 17 year old girl and managed to kidnap a 16 year old boy. As well as 11 year olds using their parents or siblings ID cards.

My Suggestion for child age at this site I know for a FACT I wouldn’t let my kid use it till they’re 16.
    Being on habbo alot and watching a bunch of 10 year olds running around repeating the words “Cum” or “Sex”, and your child can just simply google it or ask around what it is cause kids are curious about everything and need to know it all. IMVU? Just wait till your child is old enough but don’t be over protective. If you put your kid in a public school or worse a private one or any schools for that matter where your not there all the time watching them I wouldn’t see how letting your 13 year old on IMVU be much of a diff.
    I will also warn you that the creators on IMVU can pass AP content off as GA (General Access: No matter what the age all users can see this product.). IMVU doesn’t have the money, time or staff to view every product put into the shops. As a creator I know how they can get AP items passed off to be GA and your kids will most likely I’d give it an 63% to run into a naked man with an erection dancing in front of them or a naked woman avatar (79%) dirty dancing.

Don’t let your kids try ANY site as such unless you yourself has been there. IMVU seemed okay to me at first right up till a naked dude walked into the chat.

And yes as well as the fact they allow 13 year olds to register telling the parents it’s an OK site is disgusting…

• Misa Misa Gmizore
      April 23, 2012 at 3:44 pm #

I completely agree with you. Your comment is actually more convincing than this entire post! XD

14. Floatingfog
    April 30, 2012 at 2:55 pm #

I have been using IMVU for four years I believe I can sum this up alot easier than the many who do not understand this chatroom site. If your a bad parent or person you deserve all the emotional and legal torture your about to go through enough said thats just the way the world works you screw up at raising your kids you reap the issues that come with that faulty way of thinking. I have no problems with this site if a kid acts up in one of my rooms I report them IMVU looks into the matter and yes they do ban accounts and I do hunt down underage AP accounts and get them closed. IMVU will close these accounts if you can report one chat that proves they are underage. I can asure you for more then $10 no one is going to be repurchasing “Access Pass”

Apprently some parents are like “you want something on some site, SURE.” That is not what parenting is, parenting is where you look at the stuff your kids are doing. Thats what my parents did for everything they made sure I was not doing stupid things like that even if the internet was not around for me to use when I was younger. It worked out and I became a respectable person. Good parenting makes good people (unless they have some genetic issues I feel sorry for them). With good people you get ideal citizens that make sure even chatrooms are in good shape. Even I personaly use the help tickets to communicate with IMVU often about anything supicous they put together reports as the reports are made and sent to them to use in banning people, much like a real business that puts together reports from customers and employees if an employee is acting up and may need to be fired with a supporting case.

IMVU and the parents can teach the children real life ethics and make those ethics stronger.

15. May 5, 2012 at 1:08 am #

imvu is not safe. u can have SEX.

16. Your Mom slapped you because of IMVU
    June 30, 2012 at 1:53 am #

My cousin plays IMVU and a few years ago a boy was in a private area with her and she was kissing him and stuff and i was worried because i didnt want them having sex over the internet. So i told her to do some retarded things to the boy and he left. Aloud i was like awww for her but in my mind i was like THANK GOD HE’S GONE.

17. Unidentified
    July 12, 2012 at 4:12 pm #

Imvu really isn’t a place for children, but imvu wants money so they allow it. Many times people have suggested making it 18+ only, but that of course never happens. Slowly Imvu has been taking everything away from the adult users (no longer can they simulate sexual acts! Even with a mature pass! – WHICH BTW, you must be 18+ to purchase, but there’s no way for them to know that you’re really 18.)

Even so, however…it’s still not a place for children as regardless, many people see imvu as a dating site and go there talking all sorts of sexual crapola. I first joined Imvu when I was 13 or 14 (can’t remember – I’m 20 now). When I was that young, I remember a 44 year old man hitting on me and buying me inappropriate clothing for my avatar, etc. (Back then there were no guides to minimum coverage. There are now but clothing can still be very skimpy and considered okay for 13 year olds). I ended up getting my first boyfriend on Imvu; He was an older boy (17, I was 15 by that time) I met him in real life and was pressured into sex. This just shows what this site can lead to for young teens.

I recommend you not to let your children on this site. I’m always so shocked to see how many 13 – 15 year olds are on Imvu.

18. Phantom
    August 24, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I agree with most of the concerned parents on this site. IMVU is not for children. I’ve been on IMVU for many years and it should be declared an adult site– 18 and over. I would not let my young pre-teen or teen children join the site.

19. Seth
    February 8, 2013 at 5:58 pm #

I think IMVU should be for 16 and older. I tried IMVU and let me tell you, I’m not going to go on for a while. Or ever again. IMVU says its for 13+! Like wtf, people under age 18 will be able to be exposed to sexual content. And it might charge them, and they will think if they did it online, then it’s as easy as in real life. And I’m talking about the people under age 18. IMVU may look fun and safe for young adults, but in my opinion they should not play unless very mature. I have spoken. Thanks for reading this If you still are. I really appreciate it.

20. Sadie
    February 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm #

Well, My daughters bff (who is 9) uses IMVU and she was banned from
    it and still is

21. chloe!!
    February 17, 2013 at 10:01 am #

Well, I only noticed this because my friend, who is 12 said to her boyfriend, hey imvu me. I’m younger than her, but I’m not going to say what age. I asked her what that was but she didn’t answer. So I looked this up. She is interested in more VERY girly stuff, like make up and dating and she has some weird friends who dress……..
    I would rather be outside climbing trees. But anyway, I think this is nasty and I have to tell her now to get off it. I think it should be 18-21 to register. And maybe have admin, and mods, because this website called Howrse has those and doesn’t have any bad stuff hardly.

22. April 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm #

Firstly thank you for writing this. Secondly there is an issue with your stylesheet or possibly
    it’s just my netbook but it doesn’t show right.

23. Sachiana
    May 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm #

Okay, I would like to try and save Imvu’s pride a little bit here. I’m 15, and I know I’ll probably be ignored just because of my age, but Imvu isn’t as bad as everyone thinks it is.

It’s kind of funny how much people freak out about the clothing. A lot of the shirts actually make you a tad flat chested and the “skimpy clothes” are your child’s choice to buy. There are normal clothing, such as jeans and a t-shirt.

Not everyone on it is a horn-dog either. It’s the same as any other online chatting site; there’s creeps and there’s normal people.

Imvu is a lot safer then it used to be. (I’ve been playing since 2010) If you want to get AP (Access Pass, AKA “Mature Pass”) you have to be age verified. Which verifies that you 18+. Just don’t judge it too quickly if you haven’t even played it.

I hope I made Imvu a lot less horrifyingly scary for parents.

• Sachiana
      May 11, 2013 at 10:50 pm #

Oh, and I believe that Imvu should be 15 and up. Not just because I’m 15, but also for the fact that I believe that 15 is the age where teens actually start to mature. 15+ is the way to go. :)

• Liu
      June 10, 2013 at 6:52 pm #

I go with you. Where you look for creepers there you will find.

24. Pinkie Pie
    May 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm #

hmm I don’t think its safe. but I wear a costume instead of sexual woman.

25. May 23, 2013 at 8:24 pm #

Awesome! Its in fact remarkable article, I have
    got much clear idea about from this post.

26. An IMVU player who is taking a stand
    May 28, 2013 at 8:30 pm #

About being to slutie thats wrong and really ppl u send ur kids to public school they now that stuff already we teens hate talking to adults as much as u do so dont think u know everthing about ur kids plus we all know that stuff we learned about it in like 6th grade. all u parents on here are just looking on the surface i have meant a lot of nice ppl on imvu and meant them in real life!

27. Another IMVU player who is taking a stand
    May 28, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

thanx for that comment an IMVU player talking a stand. most ppl are nice and kind and plus u think u no teens well think again most of us kiss for the frist time by the time we are 13 if u hold us back we are going to die virgins so there :P

28. michelle
    May 29, 2013 at 3:33 am #

losers made me read all of this for nothing

29. June 3, 2013 at 5:20 am #

sexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsexsex
    horrible sex

30. June 5, 2013 at 7:57 pm #

When I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a comment is added
    I get three emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove
    people from that service? Cheers!

31. June 5, 2013 at 9:54 pm #

Pretty! This was an extremely wonderful post. Thanks for providing these details.

• Liu
      June 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

reading if imvu is safe but your name is “naked live webcams”? gtfo <.<

32. Liu
    June 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

I used to have a imvu when i was about ten (don’t ask me why okay <.<) and I am now 14. I've never ran across anyone who tried to make any virtual "sexual" contact to me. But believe me, there ARE people out there. I would say it is a 13+ website, as long as you act the age you are. A 13 y/o should be mature and know his/her limits. I totally support and accept parental guidance in the game till you're 15 years old MAX.

33. June 11, 2013 at 3:10 pm #

My spouse and I stumbled over here different web page and thought I may
    as well check things out. I like what I see so now i
    am following you. Look forward to checking out your web page yet again.

34. June 12, 2013 at 1:31 am #

hey there and thank you for your information – I have certainly
    picked up anything new from right here. I did however expertise several technical points using
    this web site, as I experienced to reload the web site many times previous to I
    could get it to load properly. I had been
    wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Well I am adding this RSS to my email and can look out for much more of your respective interesting content. Ensure that you update this again soon.

35. June 12, 2013 at 3:04 am #

I am genuinely glad to glance at this web site posts
    which contains plenty of helpful data, thanks for providing these kinds of data.

36. June 14, 2013 at 5:52 pm #

My brother recommended I might like this website. He was entirely right.
    This post truly made my day. You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

37. June 14, 2013 at 11:55 pm #

That is very interesting, You’re a very professional blogger. I’ve joined your feed and stay up for looking for extra
    of your great post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

38. June 16, 2013 at 5:35 pm #

Please let me know if you’re looking for a writer for your weblog. You have some really good articles and I think I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d absolutely love to write some content for your
    blog in exchange for a link back to mine. Please shoot me
    an e-mail if interested. Cheers!

39. June 17, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I’m not sure the place you’re getting your info, however great topic.
    I needs to spend some time finding out much more or figuring out more.
    Thanks for magnificent info I used to be in search of this information for my mission.

40. June 28, 2013 at 1:59 pm #

What’s up, the whole thing is going nicely here and ofcourse every one is sharing information, that’s really
    good, keep up writing.

41. June 30, 2013 at 10:10 pm #

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don’t know who
    you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you are not
    already ;) Cheers!

42. July 13, 2013 at 3:53 pm #

Imvu might be bad for people under 13 so I agree with the 13 plus , as much as you want to think that your children are innocent . They aren’t they already know what is happening on here already they already know about sex . Why is it so bad for them to make out in a virtual world ? They are probably do this on real life anyway . Exspecially if they are teens . Half of you children are probablyy not even virgins . I know this because I am a teen . More and more teens are pregnant now . Do you not think we know about sex . You should get to know your children .

43. July 25, 2013 at 6:23 am #

Okay, I’ve been playing IMVU for a few months now, and I’ve always been uncomfortable with the idea of dating or anything like that through a social networking site. I’m 14, by the way. I have a handful of friends on there, probably about 15, that I’ve talked to for months, and I’m not very open to talking to new people on IMVU, because you’re right. You can’t really trust anyone on the Internet. But about the drugs, sexual content, and bad language, kids can pretty much see that anywhere.
    My friends on there do tend to be older than me (16-17. And a couple that are 15) and yes, that does bother me a little bit. But they don’t try to be sexual or anything, we just chat like friends.
    My parents don’t really care what I’m doing on the computer, but I’m smart enough to keep myself safe. Noone on IMVU knows my real name, and I’m very cautious about the information I put on the Internet. I won’t even sign up for a website that asks for my last name or zip code.
    And when someone on the Internet tries to be sexual with me, there’s always that lovely “x” in the corner of the screen.
    And about the bad language, if your kids hear it, they’re gonna say it. They’ll say it when talking to friends, at school, on the Internet, everywhere.
    My point is, that if you think that your child is responsible enough to handle being in situations like that, and are willing to get themselves out of them, then I don’t see why they wouldn’t be able to use IMVU. I guess it just depends on how mature the child is.
    Also, try to talk your kids out of lying about their ages. It does effect how people treat you on the Internet. And for the users younger then 13, there are more appropriate and safer sites that are just as fun for them. (Ex. Moviestarplanet, Neopets, Stardoll, Moshi Monsters, Club Penguin, Poptropica) Similar sites like IMVU to keep your younger kids away from: Meez, Second Life.

44. July 26, 2013 at 3:11 am #

Don’t say IMVU is a nasty/bad site. Blame the children why don’t you ? They’re the ones saying that they are 18 when they are really 15. Of course this is my opinion, but if you’re above the age of 13 and put in the responsibility of a “teenager” you should have the right to go on whichever site you please. The parent doesn’t have to be watching. I mean, you CAN put blocks on it for sexual ineuendo. I’m a teenager and this is coming from me, the person on the computer in your house (13 – 18) should be responsible and tell you if they are having problems on said site; (sexual harassment over the Internet, cussing. Etc). If they can’t prove that they will do that then they shouldn’t be on the Internet at all. The Internet is full of crazy things. Open your eyes guys, blockers won’t protect your children and the ones you love and if you can’t trust them or the Internet don’t have a computer. Put a camera or something. But believe me, they WILL show signs of hate towards you for taking away “Freedom” or “Privacy”. And just remember this is from a teen itself.

45. Rayous
    August 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm #

I have been on IMVU for well over 4 years now and I can say I have not had much of that. I did pay for that “mature Adult pass” but it was because I am an adult and I want to make a room for adults who can actually prove they are adults because it is harder for someone aged 15 to purchase it unless their have their parents Credit card and ID to verify how old they are. As for that sexual stuff anytime someone tries that with me it is easy, block them and then leave the room. I have never delt with anyone on there that bad. I have made about 20 friends on there that are close and that I have personally meet and text or talk on skype. We went to a public place and each brought someone. As for the sexual stuff for kids, I made something that is no sexual at all and was created with the clothing for kids since I was only 17 when I joined. http://userimages-akm.imvu.com/userdata/42/68/68/80/userpics/Snap_OAnPobyErh1170009465.png.

They actually have a lot of rules anyone that posts sexual content out in the open is to be flagged and then Customer Service will review it and remove the sexual stuff. I know because I got in trouble for having the word carp on my homepage once.

46. June 26, 2011 at 4:52 pm #